Monday 18 July 2011

Goodbye Canada - Hello USA!

So, I’ve left lovely Canada after 6 great weeks spent visiting 5 different cities from East to West. I met some great people and learnt lots - and certainly have had plenty to reflect on during my time out in Jasper and Vancouver (in-between spotting bears, elks, orcas, sea lions and so many bald eagles I confess I became a bit blase…).

So, I’m now in the USA and spending the final leg of my journey in Seattle. I have a busy few days ahead with visits to a range of people and projects including…


The Chinese Information Service Center - to learn more about and observe what Community Advocates in Seattle do.

The International Community Health Services Center  where I hope to observe a diabetes education class and meet the Health Services Director and Health Advocacy Manager.

The Seattle Department of Neighbourhoods - including visits to a Neighborhood Payment and Information Service center (NPIS) and Neighborhood District Coordinators Program  I’ll also get  chance to learn more about the Neighborhood Matching Fund Project & PPatch gardens in the city.

The Public Health Department of King County Council to learn more about their ‘Communities Count’ project and equity and social justice work.

I’ll end the week with a visit to the High Point neighborhood who are holding a Health Fair for community members on Friday evening. High Point is one of Seattle’s most diverse neighbourhoods and the High Point Neighborhood Association’s mission is to foster "the development of a vibrant and caring community committed to service, inclusiveness, lifelong learning, and well-being." Sounds just my kinda thing....

So - a busy old week but I am really looking forward to it…watch this space for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment