Thursday 23 June 2011

The journey so far...

I am meeting so many people (the business cards below represent a large number but there have been many more!). And those people introduce me to other people or organisations who have an interest or experience in the subject of my fellowship. It is a true snowballing effect! I just wish there were more hours in the day and more energy in my bones to be able to take full advantage....


So - I am coming to the end of week three of the fellowship and have spent time in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal so far. All great cities for different reasons (and am not sure I'm allowed to have a favourite anyway...).

I have attended 4 different conferences, visited 11 organisations and spent time in communities where services are targeted. I have also had countless conversations with people about Community Health Champions, the Altogether Better programme and  our work in the UK. Some conversations - as you might expect - were at conferences and events but others were more random - like whilst eating a Beaver Tail in Ottawa, over Moules Mariniere and at the Bixi Bike stand in Montreal! Seems Canadians like to chat...which is great!

There's too much to report the details but to give you a flavour - here are a couple of highlights from my time in Toronto...

My visit to Health Nexus in Toronto provoked some interesting thoughts about the social determinants, of health and health equity. Health Nexus 'view health broadly' (as their strapline says) and have been enabling communities to promote health for the past 25 years. They assist organizations and individuals  to develop and implement prevention and health promotion strategies that aim to enhance well-being and reduce demand on the health care and social service systems. Community Health Champions could be one such strategy and I was able to share our evidence reviews and resources. Thanks to Peg, Barb, Subha and Suzanne for the stimulating discussion (and tasty lunch!). 

Visit to Health Nexus, Toronto

The Wellesley Institute  is a non-profit research and policy institute with  a focus on developing research and community-based policy solutions to the problems of urban health and health disparities. We spent a useful  afternoon sharing information about our respective areas of work.  Of particular interest was their work around Peer Health Ambassadors - (more on that later) and a participatory action research project on how neighbourhoods affect well-being in one densely populated area of Toronto (St James Town). You can read more about the St James Town  initiative here

Tomorrow I leave for Nova Scotia, a weekend in Halifax and then onto the Coady Institute in Antigionish (which I have now learnt how to pronounce correctly... or so I am informed when I pull a quizzical face). After Nova Scotia I head west to Vancouver (via the Rockies...very excited) for some much needed R 'n' R before heading south to Seattle to complete this part of the journey.

Phew.

Better get packing....

No comments:

Post a Comment